another random poem. i wrote it very very late last night. a couple weeks ago, on my way up to new hampshire, we passed this cliff with frozen waterfalls on it. i'd never seen anything like it before, so i made note. i had written down the words "tears, ice, wait, falling" and also "hope, help" beneath. and i was looking at it last night, and wrote a sonnet. so here tis:
Frozen Waterfalls:
An ice veil freezes close to granite rock
Of the barren cliff-side. White and cold
It glows under the lonely moon, and off
Its glimmering folds fall watered tears annulled.
Black behind the brightness peers gloomy through
A stony face that swallows light alive
And hides the night sky from my searching view,
Although the falling stars from behind it rise.
Below I wait, in darkness, with a wind
Rising chill at my back, whistling with pain
And sorrow. I shiver. And hope rescinds
Its claim on my frozen thought without a name.
Across the paths of light above my head
My heart, crying, to death is slowly led.
So, yeah. It sounds a bit scary; don't worry, there's nothing wrong with me. But poetry I write late at night tends to sound melancholy. It was also nearly dark when we drove past the waterfalls, so they were glowing in the last light of day, glowing white against the dark. Quite beautiful, actually. In my creative writing class, one of the things we read mentioned that most authors have favorite words that appear in most of their poetry... I don't think the words I use are cheerful. Maybe that's because words like "cold" and "sorrow" and "dark" and "alone" just sound nice. Maybe my brain is a little twisted inside. Maybe I just need to write in more cheerful, brightly lit surroundings. Not that it matters much, though. Poetry doesn't have to be happy. Nothing does, really. Ummm... but don't worry about me; I'm fine. I'm actually doing quite well. And I must say I like the way "glimmering folds fall watered tears annulled" sounds. Pretty.
No comments:
Post a Comment