I ask again: how is it I know such amazing people?
Today was our annual Wisdom Way family meeting - and family they all are. From a few months to many decades old, they are such beautiful, encouraging, light-filled people. Who also have tremendous sense of humour...
I arrived early, and strolled barefoot through diamond-damp grass up to the hilltop behind Hibbard Hall. Its lovely familiarity refreshed me. I prayed a bit, sang quietly, and concentrated on the grass between my toes. I breathed in the coolness, and remembered promises, dreams, hopes ignited in the place two years ago.

The beginning was here, I thought.
Northfield showed me the glory of a community of praying people. It introduced me to a more active, charismatic, joyful expression of worship than I'd seen before. These people spoke wisdom. They encouraged my spiritual discernment, they helped me see truth, they loved me. And I dreamed of returning. Every time I revisit the place, it feels like home. It stirs up a longing, too - a longing for great, glorious, beautiful things.
Longing for heaven and home...
I long to see wholeness, to see joy, and life. I long to watch people become real. I long to be not only involved in the development of minds, but in the development of the whole being. In many ways, this summer has been a time of pieces starting to fall into place. More than ever before, things are making sense. Much remains to be seen - many pieces are unknown, unclear. But it's so much more clear now.
Standing by a marble bench, looking out over the campus, I remembered all I heard then, and all that has been spoken at 10 Days of Prayer since. Dreams...

Dreams of teaching, in some capacity. Dreams of watching people discover the joy of learning, of books, of finding expression of reality and truth and goodness in all things. Dreams of music, of singing, of playing many instruments, of writing my own songs, and singing my own words. Dreams of food, of cooking creatively, healthfully, and eating with people, drinking in the friendship that naturally builds around the table. Dreams of knowing others, and being known by them, and complete, genuine love for each other. Dreams of the body of Christ actually being a body, united in love and purpose. Dreams of prayer... of praying becoming a natural thing for any group of believers to do. What would it be like if we automatically prayed together any time we saw each other? And dreams of God - of knowing Him more and more deeply every day.
So many dreams. I stood in the shade by D. L. Moody's headstone. He, like so many others, lived always in those hopes, those dreams. Every bit of grace, every answer to prayer, just leads to desire for more. If we can have this little bit of glory and truth, why not more? God is not stingy. But we tend to dream and ask so small. I tend to dream to small.
My small voice is timid, "God, may I please, maybe, someday, help people learn? And, if You're ok with it, I would like - though do I deserve to ask? - I would like to not be alone. I mean, I want friends. I want sisters and brothers... But I would like something deeper, more together, more permanent. For instance, maybe a husband?"
And I can almost see Him shake His head. Why so small? Why so doubtful? If I am a Father who is good, and if I know your depths, and if your dreams and desires are from me and good, will not I answer? Will I not fulfill what I have begun? And are not my hopes for you even greater than what you could imagine? Ask BIG. Dream BIG. Expect much from Me, and I will delight in giving you much.
Already, He has given me much. But He wants to give more. Today, several people spoke this during our prayer time: we're thinking and asking too small - He wants us to ask for more.
I touch birch-bark, look into the sky. I hear stories of God's faithfulness, and how He's weaving pieces together for so many. I hear the thankful expectation in their voices, the passion for their land, their friends.
I eat fresh peaches, watch the nine children laughing and playing train on the low rock wall. I hear more about the new college being planned for this campus. I learn that there are so many more than I realized gathering those around them to pray, and to seek unity. So much is happening across New England, in so many little, powerful ways.
More is going to happen. Simple devotion and obedience are required - how could we deny that? So many promises have been given, and much seed sown. That which is sown will bear fruit.
Driving home, a rainbow's edge touched the North Shore.
2 comments:
Love this post! God is faithful and wants us to pray bigger! Love you! ~ Melanie
yes, yes, and more yes.
trusting His greatness and love enough to ask for complete fulfillment, whatever that may be - fulfillment in Him. living, breathing, loving, everything-ing in Him. for from Him and through Him and to Him are all things...
~D.
Post a Comment