Saturday, September 24, 2011

Summer Sleeps

I chased sunset today. But I was late - or, rather, it keeps starting its flight earlier. So I only caught its footprints fading across the sky.

Over two hours later, I got home. While I was gone, sitting on a bench under pink cloud-fingers, this happened:

Summer has chosen rest,
and not even Autumn in all her splendour
can persuade him to linger.

He is too weary now
to dance,
to stay up late,
to start adventures -
even to make love.

Autumn touches him,
and he looks up, warming today,
then rolls back down to sleep.

On the day she can no longer awaken him,
Autumn will clothe herself
in fire
for her lonely dance,
then drop her robes,
let the wind carry them away,
lay herself down next to Summer,
and cry herself to sleep.

1 comment:

Mel said...

This is beautiful.

I'm looking forward to your first published collection of travel memoirs, reflections, and poems coming out someday. :)