I have now been on-campus for nearly a week, and it still does not feel entirely real. I'm mostly moved in; my bed's not made, but most everything else is in place. The food situation isn't difficult. Although it will take time to figure out how much of what I need...
Classes are going well, I think. It's hard to tell, since I've only had three days of class, but so far I like what we're doing. Much reading...
My frustration is a feeling of detachment. This is a common experience each time I move from one location to another. It's worse when I move here because I don't know either as many people (at least it feels that way), nor know anyone as well as I do back home. Since I'm not home, I don't see my family. And although I'm here, I don't have many people to hang out with. I also don't know how to stay in touch with people who aren't here. Phone call? Don't like that without a concrete reason; I'm not to fond of or good at small talk. Email? Easily ignored, and, once again, I like having something specific to say. I don't like seemingly pointless communication. Well, that's not entirely true. I just don't know how to initiate it. So. I'll just continue to read The Iliad, and memorize Latin declensions, and write poetry, and try not to think too much about missing people...
Right.
1 comment:
The Iliad is pretty good company, but unfortunately not as good as friends and family.
Post a Comment