Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Read John 8:1-11. This is the woman speaking:

Give me cruel stipulations,
but listen to my defense!
my guilt - their suspicion - until
the grins of wicked men pinned
your sin
on me.
My will meant nothing - your tricks
tore my purity from my form
as lions rip skin off their prey.
They interrupted, caught me in shame,
lit a fire at midnight
to sit, in a circle,
mock my shivering,
and judge: kill her.
I want to live! But you did not care.
The test they devised would condemn
my sinful life
and an innocent -
your trick kiss is catching a man
kinder than you,
but I am afraid:
Will he save himself or me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as requested, a comment. I'd already seen this entry, but didn't have anything earth-shattering to share concerning it, so I'd not told you I liked it. Took a few times reading it through to figure out to whom she is talking, and about whom she speaks at different instances, but I like the thoughtfulness behind it. satisfied? ~D.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites--but you should post the one about Ruth. Perhaps even start a blog series named Biblical Women Poems...or something more provocative.