Monday, May 01, 2006

good weekend... I LOVE STEEL!!

Oh my goodness!! So lucky am I. So blessed. So amazing. Saturday my brother and I went down to HSU for a concert called: Master of the Steel Drum. Oh, man. It was the HSU calypso (steel) band - which is actually really good - and three guests. Liam Teague (called the Paganini of the Pan, cause he's just that good and that fast and insane and yeah, wow.), Cliff Alexis (the guy who made my high school's pans), and Ray Holman (practically the best composer for pans). All three guys have either written pieces for or been in the Panorama competition. If you don't know what Panorama is, you're not a steel fan. And you're missing out. It's the international steel band competition, held every year in Trinidad, the birthplace of the pan. So anyway, these three amazing players were there, and they played, and I was blown away. Liam played Cryin', and oh golly... The concert was over 2.5 hours, but totally worth it. Wonderful music, wonderful musicians, decent seats, and our tickets were a gift (which means free). What a concert.

I LOVE STEEL PANS!! I miss playing SO much. I wish pans were cheaper so I could buy one, and make a band to play random music, especially calypso. Back in high school, some of use talked about getting together a band and playing on cruise ships. If only I could find instruments and people, I would be totally willing to do that. It's horribly impractical, though. Sadness. But Saturday made me happy.

Then yesterday I spent the afternoon in a hammock by the river, basking in the sun. So good. So warm, and relaxing. It's good to have friends who live on the river.

And today I cut brush for over an hour. Also good.

So in the past few days, I've got my music, my sun and relaxation, and my destruction. It's all good now.

And my cousin's coming to visit soon... and bringing the RX-8, which he'll probably let me drive - in the redwoods, curvy roads - which will be a blast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is he back from Iraq? Glad to hear he's safe and sound. Enjoy life!