Monday, February 27, 2006

prince charming?

Just watched Snow White, which started me thinking about Prince Charming. I am somehow under the impression that the stereotypical Prince Charming (call him PC) is "tall, dark, and handsome" - I don't know why - and sometimes mysterious as well. I've read books and seen movies with a PC; most of the books didn't actually have a PC - the girls just dreamt about him. In the Anne of Green Gables books, for instance, Anne and Diana spend hours picturing their own PCs. They know what he looks like, how he acts, what he wears, even possible names. For some reason, I think most girls do this. Do they? Do most young girls dream of a PC who is perfect and romantic and et cetera? I just know I never did this.

I don't remember thinking of my perfect prince. And now, when I actually care just a little, I can't picture him. If I start describing PC, people I've known crowd in. Traits I've disliked in people associate themselves with all other traits those poor boys possessed. And I associate names very strongly with the character. For example, I despise the name Colin because of someone I knew in high school who I didn't like very much. (and it makes me think of colic) I also don't like the name Clinton, because of a boy in 1st grade. Also don't like Dennis; and there are other names. I like most J names, and Paul, Mac, Ross, Andrew, Isaac, Luke, Westley, a few D names; all names of people who have traits I admire or cool characters from books.

So what would my PC be like? I don't know. I like both dark and light hair, because I've known boys with both who I approved of. Black is good, so's dark or light brown, so's red, and real blond. No blue or green or pink or purple... And eye color? And skin color? I really don't care all that much, although I like people who obviously spend a good amount of time outdoors. And again, this is all because of what my friends have been like. It seems rather odd to me that I remember no childish dreams for my future. The only standards I have to compare people to are standards formed by other people I have known. I almost feel bad that I won't be able to tell my future husband that he's exactly what I dreamed him to be. I'll never be able to tell someone they're my PC, cause I don't have one. I almost feel sad about this, but not quite. I just feel like a very unusual girl. I feel like I've just identified another missing piece of childhood. Sigh...

And it's raining again! Rain inspires thoughtful reveries and wistful stares. I love it. There's nothing so peaceful as falling asleep to the pounding of a rainstorm. All else is still and silent and watching; the rain alone moves, falling straight down all gray and fat, covering a multitude of messes, washing the land's face clean. Mmmm, rain!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

hey...i know exactly how you feel...I hate the name chris and others..but sometimes it is so hard and hurts so much. Sometimes I wish God would stamp the perfect mate for us in the head to make it easy.

I love reading your blog. :)

sarah

Anonymous said...

I never dreamt of Prince Charming either...though Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables did seem pretty great to me. I also never planned my wedding or played wedding or anything like that, at least until recently ;-)